A Cardiff restaurant has rat droppings “throughout the premises”, according to inspectors.
Cardiff City Council’s health and safety inspector said Lilo Grill was Welsh Capital is the “worst” they’ve had in a restaurant in 15 years.
A father and daughter have been ordered to pay a total of £10,000 for a series of health and safety breaches.
Sabz Ali Khan, 77, and his daughter Sabrina Khan, 41, were found guilty of 18 charges after their trial at Newport Crown Court on February 21 offense and was sentenced on Thursday.
Mr Khan, 77, was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 in costs.
Cardiff City Council said it understood Mr Khan was appealing his conviction.
His daughter Sabrina Khan, 41, was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay £1,000 in costs.
Nightcover Limited (Lilo Grill’s legal food operator) was fined £12,000 and ordered to pay £6,500 in costs.
Rats are said to have been “hauling away” raw meat left outside to defrost and rat urine “running down the walls of the dry goods store.”
Between August 2019 and January 2020, restaurants on City Road in the Welsh capital underwent a number of food hygiene inspections.
Cardiff Council said there was “extensive cross-contamination” at the premises and the salads were stored in “an unlit, rat-infested storage room filled with rubbish bags”.
On August 15, 2019, Mr. Khan agreed to voluntarily close the business until the works were completed and was given permission to reopen at the end of August.
The Commission issued improvement notices for food hygiene and health and safety violations, some of which did not comply with the Commission’s rules, which is why it launched legal action.
Teachers in Wales accept new pay proposals
Freeports – what do they mean for Wales?
‘Incredible response’ after Swansea blast tragedy
Dan De’Ath Councilor, Cardiff City Council cabinet member responsible for shared regulatory services, said: “I have been reliably told by case officers that this is the worst incident of restaurant negligence we have had in the past 15 years”
Councilor De’Ath added the condition of the property was “an absolute disgrace and puts their clients at risk”.